As the formal minutes from a NENC meeting must be approved by the Board at the next monthly meeting, the information provided below is just a quick recap. Official meeting minutes of NENC meetings can be found HERE.
- Tacoma Police shared statistics on carprowls, burglaries, etc. Summer is here; keep your garages closed to deter theft. A resident asked about graffiti issues at Jefferson Elementary; officer will look into it.
- Tacoma Fire reminds people that burn bans are issued by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Burning of garbage and construction materials never okay.
- Metro Parks Tacoma shared updates regarding various projects, including Point Defiance, Wright Park and Dickman Mill Park.
- Tacoma Public Utilities has distributed the Annual Water Quality Report to area residents.
- The City Manager’s Office shared updates regarding homelessness initiative and subarea planning for the Tideflats; reminds people that the Bring Your Own Bag ordinance goes into effect July 12.
- Representatives of the Tacoma Waldorf School presented information and addressed questions concerning their project on the grounds of the historic Weyerhaeuser Mansion; the project is currently taking public comment on its Conditional Use Permit application. If you would like to comment on the school’s plan to share space at the Weyerhaeuser Mansion, contact Shanta Frantz, Senior Planner, at email@example.com. Comments are due by July 21. Learn more …
- The Council made some decisions regarding updates to the NENC logo.
- CUSHMAN SUBSTATION – The Council decided to endorse and promote an online petition to the City Council regarding the future of the Cushman Substation. Tacoma residents are encouraged to consider signing the petition HERE.
- The Design Review Task Force is seeking a meeting with the City Manager to discuss next steps on the NENC’s request for early consultation with neighborhood councils concerning large development projects. (To learn more, view the NENC’s position paper on “Concept & Design Review“.)
The next NENC meeting is Monday, August 7 at 6:00pm.