Monday May 1st NENC Meeting Recap:
As the formal minutes from a NENC meeting must be approved by the Board at the next monthly meeting, the information provide below is a quick recap. Previous meeting minutes are found on NENC website: www.nenc.org
- Tacoma Fire reminded us that common household fires occur from setting down combustibles on the stove and then bumping the knob or leaving closet lights on with incandescent bulbs that get too hot up against items.
- Tacoma Police asked if doing outreach to the homeless avoid going into any of the homeless camps for your own safety. A large amount of waste and debris was removed from the Tacoma Jungle. In addition, someone offered a homeless man holding a sign on a corner a bed for the night only to get robbed. The locks were changed and they came back with a crow bar to get back in.
- Search for a new City Manager. Four finalists have been selected. Finalists The City Council and the City’s Executive Leadership Team will interview finalist on May 11 and 12. Community members will have an opportunity to meet the finalists in person during a public forum as well as a community reception at the Tacoma Municipal Building Council Chambers (747 Market St.) on Friday, May 12, from 5:15 to 7 p.m. The public forum will also air live on TV Tacoma.
- A citizen made an announcement about unsafe walking and biking conditions on N. 36th St., which winds down to the waterfront. He is seeking an LID to get a sidewalk. Asking for citizen and council support.
- An informative presentation about the history of Cushman Substation and why it meets the criteria for local historical status was made by, Preservation Architect Jeff Ryan. Seeking letters of support for the full nomination as this moves on to the City Council.
- A beginning dialog was started about what the community would like to have happen at the Cushman sites going forward now that the substation will be decommissioned in the near future. Seeking citizen comment.
- Bring Your Own Bag – Effective July 12th, 2017
The next NENC meeting is June 5th. Main topic will be on the area wide re-zones being proposed by the Planning Department. Senior Planner Stephen Atkinson will be our guest so come prepared to ask questions.